2017 Momentum Mavericks - Programs for 6 - 11 year olds
Registration for Mavericks will open in October 2017 - ( on the home page) to know the exact date and hear about any fall hikes etc...
Our Mavericks program is designed for kids age 6 to 11 to progress in the sport of Nordic skiing, and is all about FUN! We want to provide a cross country skiing opportunity for young people on Snoqualmie Pass to play in our winter wonderland. Mavericks skiers can range from beginners on skis to quickly advancing young racers; we tailor our sessions to accommodate all abilities, to ensure that every young skier is challenged in a way that helps them progress without feeling either held back or left behind.
Features of the Mavericks program:
- Open to athletes ages 6-11 (must be 6 years old by 12/31/2015 and will not turn 12 years old in the 2016 calendar year)
- Program runs 8 weeks, from January 6th through February 24th
What a Mavericks session looks like:
Saturdays 9am - 11am: Meet your coach at the Cabin Creek Trails (exit 63 on I-90) under the blue Momentum Northwest tent with your skis. We keep each group small and sorted into similar ability ranges so coaches each have 5-6 athletes apiece; our coaches have undergone club-led training to be the best ski mentors and fun-leaders possible!
For the next two hours your skier will gain comfort on their skis while making new friends, learning new skills and challenging themselves with the support of their coaches. Each coach comes with a vast repertoire of activities sure to keep the group going all the way to the end.
Every session ends with hot cocoa (and the occasional snow fort construction and ski jumping contest) and smiles before our Mavericks head home tired and happy.
TUITION (REGISTRATION FORM IS BELOW) - $250 covers 8 sessions
1/6, 1/13, 1/20, 1 28, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, and 2/24
- If paying via PayPal please add 2.2% to your payment to cover the PayPal fees Momentum is charged. Or you cal always mail a check to 8243 126th Pl SE Newcastle, WA 98056. After registering you will be invoiced (email).
What kind of gear do you need?
Skiing is a winter sport and winter can be cold (and in the case of Snoqualmie Pass, sometimes wet); however there are some great options for apparel that will keep your athlete warm and dry for their workout. In terms of skis, boots, and poles, we are all-welcoming. Ultimately we will encourage young skiers to become proficient in both skate and classic technique but certainly as beginners they're welcome to come in whatever equipment you have.
Seattle Ski and Snowboard offers season long cross country rentals for young skiers as well as adults. Please contact them directly for more information. Momentum will also host a Fall Gear Swap for all families. Bring the stuff that no longer fits your child and see if you can find anything you need before shopping for your ski gear. Some of the winter apparel can also be found at REI, Costco, and other outdoor/sports stores. The actual equipment is more difficult to find and after checking local shops we recommend Gear West or Boulder Nordic. (Click on the blue words for links)
Here's a basic list of useful gear which we want you to have for your Mavericks skier:
- One set of skis/boots/poles. Can be skate or classic; however, our choice is to have you get classic skis (no-wax) as the athlete can always skate on them as well, but it offers the base pattern to allow for kick on an uphill
- Two warm hats and two pair of winter gloves (useful to have two sets if one gets wet)
- A softshell jacket or insulated raincoat. Parkas work but can often be too bulky for xc skiing movement
- Synthetic base layers - NO COTTON, PLEASE
- Wool socks
- Ski pants - there are activewear-type pants which work much better than alpine bibs or equivalent
- Dry clothing for after the workout
- A waterproof/resistant duffel or backpack to keep all their gear while out skiing
The Cabin Creek Trails require a Sno Park Parking Permit - avaliable at https://fortress.wa.gov/parks/ecomm/prod/Store/SNO/SnoChoice.aspx