Codes of Conduct, Concussion, and Liability Waivers
Please read all of the below and digitally sign in the form at the bottom.
As an athlete representing Momentum Northwest, while training and competing I will:
- Represent myself, the sport of cross country skiing, and Momentum with the highest level of integrity, reflecting the professional attitude that our program and all participating athletes will work to achieve.
- Conduct myself in a respectful manner at all times. This includes but is not limited to, team activities, training on snow and off, at home and away races, camps and other related activities.
- Treat fellow team members, competitors, coaches, and officials with respect and consideration for their health, safely, and emotional well-being.
- Not use alcohol or illegal drugs while participating with the team. Use of such will result in suspension from team activities and competition.
- Understand that firearms, ammunition, knives and other items that could be construed as weapons are prohibited.
- Acknowledge that coaches shall not engage in any inappropriate sexual conduct or relationships with athletes.
- Refrain from the use of any tobacco products.
- Refrain from the use of abusive or offensive language and behavior.
- Respect other people’s belongings including their equipment.
- Be respectful of property and take care to clean up after myself in the van.
- Not cause undue wear and tear on the van, through careless, reckless, or intentional abuse. No stickers, or ink, do not spill food or drink.
- Exhibit self control and show consideration for others, without injuring or bullying others.
- Express my desire to learn and develop as an athlete and never interfere with or prevent others from learning.
- Maintain good academic standing and acknowledge that unexcused absences from school or failing grades will prevent me from participating in Momentum activities.
- Participate in team volunteerism opportunities and fundraising as directed by my coach.
- Understand the following: Momentum Northwest is focused on developing competent young skiers, through an emphasis on solid technique knowledge and competitive experience. Paramount to these elements is individual accountability, and I will seek to balance school and athletics in a healthy and sustainable manner.
- Understand that participation with Momentum is a privilege that can be revoked. Every athlete will know and abide by the rules and will understand that violation of rules and policies will result in disciplinary action.
Parent Code of Conduct:
As a Parent of a Momentum Northwest athlete, I will:
- Support my athlete in their efforts without placing undue pressure on them to succeed competitively.
- Acknowledge the coaches’ authority and not seek to interfere with team function provided my athlete’s well-being remains paramount.
- When available, provide reasonable support to Momentum at team events and races
- Participate in team volunteerism opportunities and support Momentum at select fundraising events
- Rely first on my athlete and the Momentum website to receive and provide information about team activities before going directly to the coaching staff.
- Communicate in a respectful manner with the coaching staff
- Understand that if my athlete is removed from the program for failure to abide by the Athlete Contract, that the tuition payment is forfeited.
- Understand the following: Momentum Northwest is focused on developing competent young skiers, through an emphasis on solid technique knowledge and competitive experience. Paramount to these elements is individual accountability, and I will seek to support my athlete in balancing school and athletics in a healthy and sustainable manner.
I have read the Momentum Northwest Code of Conduct / Contract and agree to abide by it. I further understand that not following this Code of Conduct / Contract could cause my athlete’s removal from the program.
Concussion Policy and Information:
A concussion is a brain injury and all brain injuries are serious. They are caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or by a blow to another part of the body with the force transmitted to the head. They can range from mild to severe and disrupt the way the brain normally works. Even though most concussions are mild, all concussions are potentially serious and may result in complications, including prolonged brain damage and death, if not recognized and properly managed. You can’t see a concussion. Most concussions occur without loss of consciousness. Signs and symptoms of concussion may show up immediately or may take hours or days to fully appear. If your child reports any symptoms of concussion, or if you notice any symptom or sign of concussion, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms and signs observed by teammates, parents and coaches may include one of more of the following:
Pressure in head
Nausea or vomiting
Balance problems or dizziness
Blurred, double or fuzzy vision
Sensitivity to light or noise
Feeling sluggish or slow
Feeling foggy or groggy
Change in sleep patterns
Don’t feel right
Fatigue or low energy
Nervousness or anxiety
Confused about assignment
Unsure of game/score/etc.
Answers questions slowly
Can’t recall events after hit
Vacant facial expression
Seizures or convulsions
Athletes with signs and symptoms of concussion will be removed from training/skiing immediately and must have the signed release of a physician before being allowed to return to ski. Continuing to train or ski with the signs and symptoms of concussion leaves athletes especially vulnerable to greater injury. There is an increased risk of significant damage from a concussion for a period of time after that concussion occurs, particularly if the athlete suffers another concussion before completely recovering from the first one. This can lead to prolonged recovery, or even to severe brain swelling (second impact syndrome), with devastating and even fatal consequences.
If you think your child has suffered a concussion, close observation should occur for several hours. You should also inform your child’s coach if you think he/she has suffered a concussion.
For current information, go to http://www.cdc.gov/ConcussionInYouthSports/
SPORT PARTICIPANT ASSUMPTION OF RISK, RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
In consideration for being permitted to participate in the Nordic Racing activities of Momentum Northwest, I agree as follows:
Express Assumption of Known/Unknown Risks Associated with Sports Training/Events, Transportation, & Venue Use: I hereby affirm and acknowledge that I am or have been fully informed of the inherent hazards and risks associated with all activities of Momentum Northwest, including transportation of equipment related to the activities, and travelling to and from sites for the activities in which I am about to engage. Inherent hazards and risks of these activities that I am choosing to participate in include, but are not limited to, the following: (1) Significant risk of injury from the activity and equipment utilized, including the potential for broken bones, severe injuries to the head, neck, knee, and back or other bodily injuries that my result in permanent disability or death; (2) Possible equipment failure and/or malfunction or misuse of my own or others' equipment, and the risk of lost or stolen equipment; (3) Variation and/or steepness of terrain and surroundings, variation or changes in surfaces (including but not limited to snow surfaces, ice, bare spots, rocks, stumps, debris, cliffs, trees, fences, posts, trees, light poles, signs, buildings, roads, walkways, ramps, rails, stairs, pyramids, manual pads, bowls, half‐pipes, jumps, padded and non‐padded barriers, other persons, and other natural and manmade hazards); (4) My own negligence and/or the negligence of others, including but not limited to operator error and guide decision making, such as misjudging terrain, weather, riding surfaces or other obstacles, and getting lost; (5) Exposure to the elements and temperature extremes, which may result in complications including but not limited to frost nip/bite, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, sunburn, hypothermia and dehydration; (6) Dangers associated with exposure to natural elements, include but are not limited to avalanche, rock fall, inclement weather, thunder and lighting, severe and/or varied wind, temperature and other weather conditions, and wild or other animals; (7) Accidents or illness occurring in remote places where there are no available medical facilities; (8) Fatigue, exhaustion, chill, dizziness, and/or other medical problems which may diminish my reaction time or that of others, and increase the risk of accident; and (9) Falls, or impact or collision with other athletes, spectators, facility employees, pedestrians, motor vehicles, and skiers/cyclists/climbers, during or en route to events. I understand the description of these risks is not complete, and that unknown or unanticipated risks may result in injury, illness, permanent disability or death.
I agree that I will take all appropriate precautions to minimize risk of injury to myself or others, including without limitation appropriate use of equipment, participating within my limitations (physical or otherwise), and using/wearing approved protective gear as decreed by the governing body of the sport I am participating in. I understand protective gear cannot guarantee my safety—for example, ropes/harnesses and other gear can fail, and no helmet can protect against all potential head injuries or prevent all injury to the face, neck or spinal cord.
Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims and Indemnity: I hereby RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE, the following persons or entities: Momentum Northwest, its officers, directors, employees, coaches, representatives, agents, and volunteers (the “Releasees”). I release the Releasees from liability and responsibility whatsoever and for any claims or causes of action that I, my estate, heirs, survivors, executors, or assigns may have of any kind, including without limitation claims for personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death arising from the above‐referenced activities, whether caused by active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise. I agree to hold the Releasees harmless and indemnify them in conjunction with any injury, disability, death, or loss or damage to person or property that may occur as a result of my engaging in these activities. By entering into this agreement, I am not relying on any oral or written representation or statements made by the Releasees, other than what is set forth in this agreement. This agreement shall apply to any and all injury, disability, death, or loss or damage to person or property occurring at any time after the execution of this agreement. This release shall be interpreted broadly and as binding to the fullest extent permitted by law. If any provision of this release is found to be unenforceable, the remaining terms shall be enforceable.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, AND HAVE CONSULTED WITH LEGAL COUNSEL OR WAIVED MY RIGHT TO DO SO. I UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP LEGAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND I SIGN IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.
FOR PARTICIPANTS OF MINORITY AGE: This is to certify that I, as Parent, Guardian, or Temporary Guardian with legal responsibility for this participant (“Parent/Guardian”), do consent and agree not only to his/her release of all Releasees, but also to release and indemnify the Releasees from any and all liabilities incident to his/her involvement in these programs for myself, my heirs, assigns, and next of kin.