Skiers are made in the summer.
Athletes from all sports know that gains and improvements are made in the off-season. Momentum Northwest offers a rich schedule of summer training, open to athletes from all sports. All athletes benefit from the agility and endurance training that cross-country ski training provides. Momentum offers long adventurous days in the mountains balanced with speed and technique work closer to the city, providing developing athletes with the low-intensity hours that build the fitness base for an entire year of sport.
Program Dates - May 15 to August 14 - 14 weeks
May 15- June 24 training during weekdays 4pm-6pm, weekends 8am-2pm
June 25- August 14 training weekdays 8am – 1pm
Our training groups are formed to bring together kids of similar ages and abilities, but
final placement is based on individual needs of the athletes and coaches' discretion.
Both groups will train in the same locations. Fees are based on costs of coaching, transportation, and program development, and are made to be as reasonable as possible while allowing sustainable programming. Unsure of what group is right for you? Contact Zach.
Competitive group Experienced athletes ages 14-18
We build base endurance and strength following a Periodized Training Schedule. Final placement depends on athletes' needs and coaches' discretion. In order to ensure skiers' goals and to follow a Long-Term Development plan appropriately, it is recommended that participants of this group attend all 14 weeks, and 80%+ attendance is advised. The Gear List is at the bottom of this page.
- May 15- June 24: Tue-Wed- Thu 4pm-6pm, Saturdays and Sundays 8am-2pm
- June 25- August 14: daily, Mon -Fri 8am – 1pm
- Fee: $2,300 for 10 weeks, 4 extra weeks are free!
Development group Experienced athletes ages 12-14 new athletes ages 12-16
In this group, kids work on the fundamentals of athletic development, while having fun
outdoors. Activities include roller skiing, biking, running, hiking, sculling, and more! In order to get the most out of this program and to keep the general safety of participants, we strongly recommend that kids attend all practices. Those who don't attend enough practices, or only attend those held later in the summer, may find themselves overwhelmed. The Gear List is at the bottom of this page.
- May 15- June 24: Wednesdays 4pm-6pm, Saturdays and Sundays 8am-2pm
- June 25- August 14: Mon-Wed- Fri 8am – 1pm
- Fee: $1,300 for 10 weeks, 4 extra weeks are free!
Where do we meet?
Typically, our meeting location is the Mercer Island Park and Ride, though locations may be changed or added as needed. From these locations, we venture out into the wilds surrounding Seattle. There are many established carpools that can help you get to the Mercer Island Park and Ride. Please let us know if you need assistance getting there.
Where do we train?
We travel the roads, mountains, and trails surrounding Seattle, including: The Issaquah Alps, PCT, Preston, North Bend, Fall City, Mt Rainier, San Juan Islands, The Methow Valley, and many more! Click on the button below to see a selection of practice locations.
Camps and Races
- Fire and Ice Training Camp, Bend, Oregon, June 15-19
- During the Fire and Ice training camp, all campers will attend the camp and there will be no training in Seattle. To register for the camp, click here (details still TBD, stay posted)
- Mt Rainier, WA, July 13-16
- Team up with Plain Valley and Ellensburg for a long weekend of hiking, running, rollerskiing, and epic fun!
- Methow Training Camp, Methow Valley, WA, August 15-19
- During the Methow Training Camp, all campers will attend the camp, and there will be no training available in Seattle. To register for the camp, click here (details still TBD, stay posted)
- Ragnar Relay, Crystal Mountain, WA, August 24-25
What is roller skiing?
Roller skiing is a simulated form of cross-country skiing which utilizes short wheeled
shafts and poles, allowing you to "ski" in either classic or skate technique, on pavement.
It's not a direct replica of skiing but it serves a crucial purpose in keeping athletes connected with the feel and movements of ski technique outside of the winter.
Momentum skiiers rollerski in the Fall as their primary training until the snow arrives.
Roller skiing is a great fitness tool, whether you're a seasoned ski racer or a newcomer.
It is a low-impact and full-body workout, and provides good coordination training which
can translate to a number of different sports. Ultimately, it is one piece of a larger
training puzzle which can help develop strong skiers and other athletes in their off-
We have a fleet of roller skis available for new participants to utilize, so there is no
immediate need to purchase this equipment on your own. However, experienced
athletes will be expected to provide their own roller skis. All athletes will need to provide
their own boots, poles, and helmet, but we'll be there to help you in sourcing these
Summer Program Registration - closes 6/8/18
- Fill out and submit the Registration Form below
- Read the Codes of Conduct and Liability/Concussion Waivers and complete the digital signature form below if you didn't sign the Winter Season Waiver
- Download and read the Team Handbook (click for link)
- Upon receipt of your registration, we will invoice you according to the payment method of your choice
- Payment is expected prior to the start of training. You have the option of either paying for Summer Programming all at once by May 15th, or spread out in three payments. The three dates are: May 15th, June 15th, and July 15th.